After many failed attempts at establishing a secondary school in Nymburk, on 18th September 1903 the first grade of Grammar school Nymburk, then known as Obecná vyšší reálka Nymburk, or Realschule Nymburk, was finally opened. At first, the school was attended by 53 students from Nymburk and its surroundings. At the time, the school functioned in the building of a local primary school, and with the rising number of students, it was soon apparent that the school needs a building of its own. And so, in July 1906 construction began, and it was finished the following year. It was the year 1907 and the school was now attended by a stunning number of almost 400 students, taught by 24 school employees
The first hardships hit the school during the 1st world war, mainly because of mobilization of many teachers to the front. On 2nd February 1915 the ministry made military exercises a compulsory part of the school curriculum, students were taught discipline and the use of weapons. During the war the school lost 2 teachers and about 35 students.
During the time between the two wars the school blossomed, but then came the second blow. After the Germans took over Sudetenland and declared the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, the German army arrived in Nymburk and used the school building as its barracks. This, combined with a massive influx of students from the taken-over Sudetenland made the functioning of the school extremely difficult, although the school's administration still managed to keep the school going.
After the outbreak of war the Germans made their intentions clear, issuing many regulations severely limiting the effectiveness of education. During the school year 1940/41 the school had 612 students, in 1944/45, only 299 students were attending the school. The attempts at germanisation were increasing, and a new german school was opened in the building. This led to an increase in tensions between Czechs and Germans and led many students and teachers to join local resistance increasing the chance of the Germans closing down the school. It is worth noting, that by the year 1942, about 70% of all Czech secondary schools were already closed down. In spite of this, the school kept functioning until the end of the war.
In the years following the war, Czech education saw a great improvement. That state of affairs didn't last long, though. After the communist rise to power, education was mainly used as a propaganda tool by the state, not really providing the knowledge needed. It was not until the 1989 Velvet revolution that our school could once again fulfill its purpose and provide quality education to its students.